New Zealand 12 The Whole Town Is Smoldering

 We left Fernland, sadly, and headed for the famous, thermal town of Rotorua. Now let me begin by saying that you smell the town of Rotorua LONG before you see it. I was asleep in the back of the van as we were driving along and Matt thought he was going to have to wake me to let me know there was something wrong with the van- he thought the brakes were burning. 

I thought Matt had bad gas from the Turkish kebab....we were both wrong. It was Rotorua. The first thing we noticed when we drove in is that the whole town appears to be smoldering. It is hard to describe but imagine looking out the window to see great puffs of smoke billowing out from, well, everywhere. It was a sight. The residents are certainly more brave than I am. I felt very uneasy, as if the whole thing would explode any minute. That is just what happened in 2001 according to a "not too re-assuring" signpost.

Matt and Cynthia (to be continued)